My daughter has this thing about naps...she rarely takes them, unless she gets to sleep on somone, or in the car (though this is become a much less occurance). The naps that occur on her own, in her own bed, last 20-45 minutes and on a good day I can get about an hour (this has been going on since she was about 2 weeks old). My mother says I'm lucky, apparently her children only slept 15 minute intervals, but woke up happy and content. My daughter, seems to need her sleep, and yet is driven to stay awake so that she can take part in the world. The only good thing that comes out of this is that she sleeps at night..quite well, in her 2.5months of life she has slept through the night numerous times and generally only gets up for one feeding.
On a good day I can handle this, however on more than one occasion, her need to sleep on someone has gotten in the way of my ability to accomplish tasks around the house, thus leaving me in a frustrated state.
As I reflect upon her sleep habits, it makes me think of my own walk with God (strange I know). Am I a christian who like my daughter's sleeping habits, need to be with someone in order for me to grow and develop? Does my walk when done on my own last only a few days or months before dwindling off ? Yes, christianity is not an individual walk, but there is some parts of it that does need to require individualism, or quiet moments when it is just you and God. These are just as essential as the parts that occur when part of a small group, church or church ministry (youth, C&C, marriage Encounter, etc). When you look at Jesus` life, you find that he spent many moments alone, praying and conversing with his father.
I all too often find myself, struggling to grow independently. There is always something that seems to take up my time, or that I feel needs to be done, before I quiet myself before God. I seem to find it especially hard, as my little one spends more and more time awake, thus requiring my attention. So when she sleeps, I want to get the house in some what of an order. I know that God should come first, as the dishes, and tidying will still be there, and can be done while she is otherwise occupied, yet the human side of me struggles.
Jesus always had things he could have been doing, after all there were people to teach, and heal and miracles that needed to be performed. Jesus, however, always made sure that he spent time with his heavenly father, before embarking on the daily tasks. He understood that without God as his source he soon would tire and grow weary of the tasks required of him. After all, those people would still be there tomorrow, just as my laundry, dishes and whatever else I need to do will still be waiting for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment